CDSPG is partnering with the Downtown Sailing Center to create a sailing program for teenagers and adults who have Down syndrome who would like to learn how to sail! The program will teach sailing, about the boats, about safety and maintenance and everything that goes along with sailing. Each participant will get time and practice in two kinds of boats and get to show off what they learned in a mini regatta at the end!
This is a five session class from 5 -7:30 p.m. and we highly encourage committing to all five dates to get the most out of the program (although exceptions can be accomodated). No experience is required! (Start times may vary due to weather conditions.)
The cost per participant is $75 which covers all five sessions.
Yes! Parking is available - as is a picnic area for family to wait and observe during the session.
>> If a parent, adult sibling or friend would like to volunteer, the cost for the volunteer is in the form of sweat equity and helping with the program for everyone and we would love volunteers - it will be fun!!!
>> If a parent, sibling or friend would like to participate alongside the primary participant the cost is $25 per session for that partner. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Program Dates and Schedule of Classes:
- June 19th- Kickoff and General Overview, Sonar and Dinghy rides for participant, Knot tying station, Marine Debris station
- July 10th- Fleet and Facilities Day - Learning Day - Maintain/clean grounds and docks, learn about parts of the boat and wash and sort life jackets. Learn about Marine Debris.
- July 24th- Access Dinghy Sailing Day. If more than 10 participants, they will sail in rotations of 6, while the other group learns about parts of the boat
- Aug 7th- Sonar sailing day, Participants will sail with a volunteer skipper and crew and will learn about aspects of sailing.
- Aug 28th- Mini Regatta Day, Participants will get a chance to show off sailing skills in a short race and family picnic.
Click here for our flyer!
For more information about the Downtown Sailing Center, see http://www.downtownsailing.org.